From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 29 (USE groups) and negatives
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:46:49
1 On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 08:14 +1300, Jerome Brown wrote:
2 > How about another option?
3 >
4 > 6) Disallow -USE within groups, but allow -@GROUP
5
6 I like this option.
7
8 > The issue comes with resolving the individual (@KDE -@GNOME or vice
9 > versa) as both define X, and a -X comes from the other. I guess that
10 > this could be resolved by defining that if a USE flag is defined in a
11 > group, and another group negates it, that portage ignores the negation,
12 > however if the negation is specified by the user in their USE line then
13 > the negation is allowed: Therefore
14
15 Why is X in either GNOME or KDE anyway? It is separate from either, and
16 should probably have its own group, if necessary.
17
18 When I think of KDE stuff, I don't think of X + KDE, I think of KDE and
19 arts and Qt. I think of X as a separate beast entirely.
20
21 Then again, I don't think that flags should be specified in more than
22 one group.
23
24 If it doesn't fit into a group, then don't group it. If it fits into
25 multiple groups, then either pick one and stick with it, or don't group
26 it.
27
28 Groups are supposed to simplify using large numbers of USE flags, it
29 isn't supposed to completely replace them.
32 Chris Gianelloni
34 Games - Developer
35 Gentoo Linux