From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 23:20:23
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 06:41:26PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > In any case, it sounds like for now some devs are continuing to adjust
3 > ebuilds to keep a separate /usr working as well as possible, though it
4 > apparently breaks in some edge cases right now without an initramfs,
5 > as you've already noted in your email.
6 >
7 > I don't think anybody in Gentoo is really pushing for a /usr merge -
8 > there are just lots of devs saying that they aren't going to spend a
9 > lot of time stopping it either. If upstream sticks files needed to
10 > boot in /usr then it is basically up to somebody who cares to do
11 > something to move them. Right now that isn't a lot of work, but the
12 > reason people are concerned is that this is likely to change.
13
14 Right, I'm definitely not advocating a full out /usr merge tomorrow or
15 anything, I am just not interested in doing a whole lot of patching to
16 keep something from moving to /usr if upstream moves it there.
17
18 Also, I am interested in looking at what is installed in /, and if
19 upstream defaults put it in /usr, allowing it to happen on gentoo that
20 way as well.
21
22 My thought is that eventually we will have more and more things that are
23 being installed in /usr.
24
25 > If somebody really is pushing for an all-out /usr move by all means
26 > speak up, but I think that basically what everybody is advocating is
27 > trying to follow upstream for individual packages.
28
29 Right, that's the issue. Some upstreams (mainly udev) have dropped
30 backward compatibility. But, I will be able to get around those for a
31 while.
32
33 William