From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:42:37
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 > I have also been told that the /usr merge is necessary because upstream
3 > will force it on us. Interestingly, most of @system on Gentoo Linux is
4 > GNU software, which would need to stop supporting things in / in order
5 > for that to happen.
6
7 I don't think anybody in Gentoo is advocating a full /usr merge. I
8 think that the only thing that has been happening is that there will
9 not be any heroic measures to keep a system with a separate /usr
10 booting without the use of an initramfs or some early-running script.
11
12 It doesn't matter that the majority of @system software is GNU. For a
13 separate /usr to not work does not require ALL of the software to not
14 support it, but only for a few pieces of software to not support it -
15 a chain is as strong as its weakest link.
16
17 In any case, it sounds like for now some devs are continuing to adjust
18 ebuilds to keep a separate /usr working as well as possible, though it
19 apparently breaks in some edge cases right now without an initramfs,
20 as you've already noted in your email.
21
22 I don't think anybody in Gentoo is really pushing for a /usr merge -
23 there are just lots of devs saying that they aren't going to spend a
24 lot of time stopping it either. If upstream sticks files needed to
25 boot in /usr then it is basically up to somebody who cares to do
26 something to move them. Right now that isn't a lot of work, but the
27 reason people are concerned is that this is likely to change.
28
29 If somebody really is pushing for an all-out /usr move by all means
30 speak up, but I think that basically what everybody is advocating is
31 trying to follow upstream for individual packages.
32
33 Rich