From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Opinion against /usr merge
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 23:08:25
1 On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 18:41 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > If somebody really is pushing for an all-out /usr move by all means
3 > speak up, but I think that basically what everybody is advocating is
4 > trying to follow upstream for individual packages.
5
6 As I've been saying for a while, doing a full merge of /bin, /sbin, /lib
7 into /usr is probably unavoidable in the long term. We should be ready
8 for it, and even try to do it progressively. As currently, the split is
9 entirely arbitrary.
10
11 Also be ready for a merge of /bin and /sbin.. I'm sure most people can't
12 even explain the difference between them.
15 Olivier Crête
16 tester@g.o
17 Gentoo Developer