From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package sub-categories, directory performance, and benchmarking
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:57:18
1 On Tuesday 16 November 2004 17:50, Colin Kingsley wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, November 16, Karltk writes:
3 > > Many (most?) of these are written in bash, a language with the several
4 > > remarkable features, one of them being that writing recursive functions
5 > > is a pain.
6 >
7 > This is one more problem that would be avoided with a flat package
8 > repository right?
9 >
10 > Furthermore, I have a hunch that a flat structure would make it easier
11 > in the future to move to a multiple repository system, a la debians
12 > numerous apt repositories. I only mention this because I've been told
13 > its one of our goals, I could be mistaken.
14
15 Well, multiple repositories is inviting mayhem if there is any overlap between
16 them, and possibly even when there is no overlap. The gentoo ebuilds are
17 written in the assumption that only other gentoo ebuilds need to be taken
18 into account (or that people know what they're doing with their overlays),
19 not with the assumption that a lot of base libraries are going to be provided
20 in another tree.
21
22 Paul
25 Paul de Vrieze