From: Tom von Schwerdtner <tvon@×××××.org>
To: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] splitted ebuilds for vim and gvim
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:15:22
1 On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 05:24:55PM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
2 > > I seem to be a lone dissenting voice here, so I'm proably missing
3 > > something, but is this really a good idea? I've always regarded the
4 > > split packaging of vim in other distros as an unfortunate consequence of
5 > > their not being able to handle compile time options. Since one of gentoos
6 > > strengths is that it can this seems an odd decision - what's the advantage
7 > > over using the X and gtk USE settings like before?
8 >
9 > I agree with you.
10 >
11 > I have also been looking at the vim ebild before and wondered wether it
12 > really installed everything it was supposed to on my system (I suspect
13 > rgvim was missing :-)
14 >
15 > The current ebuilds seem to be overly complex (they were fun to make
16 > though, I read ;-). If I read the ebuilds properly, this is what would
17 > (should) happen if I execute 'emerge gvim':
18 >
19 > 1. Compile vim, without gui support, and install using 'make install'
20 > 2. Compile vim, with gui support, copy the binary to the correct
21 > location.
22
23 Yes, it builds it twice (the single-vim ebuild did anyways) which I
24 never understood. I've build vim from source numerous times and I've
25 never had to build it twice...after all, its the same executable.
26
27 IMO: gvim and vim come from the same source package and what is built is
28 easily determined by configure flags. So why do we need more than one
29 ebuild? The only variation on this is kvim which is not part of the
30 'official' vim tree and hence, isnt an issue (untill its merged in which
31 case I still dont see a reason to split up the builds). USE flags are
32 simple. If people *really* *dont* *want* gvim installed but have
33 gnome/gtk/X/whatever in thier USE, then they will have to learn how USE
34 works and correct the problem properly.
35
36 -T
37
38 PS: I've been trying to access bugs.gentoo.org in an attempt to research
39 what led to mutliple vim ebuilds but "Bugzilla is currently broken"..or
40 so it says.
41
42 PPS: Dont get me wrong, I appriciate the time and effort that went into
43 splitting up the vim ebuild as well as the time that goes into all
44 gentoo development.