From: Magnus Therning <magnus.therning@×××××××.nl>
To: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] splitted ebuilds for vim and gvim
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 10:24:56
1 On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 03:10:22PM +0100, Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:
2 > On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Hannes Mehnert wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hi everyone,
5 > >
6 > > I just commited seperate ebuilds for gvim and vim.
9 > I seem to be a lone dissenting voice here, so I'm proably missing
10 > something, but is this really a good idea? I've always regarded the
11 > split packaging of vim in other distros as an unfortunate consequence of
12 > their not being able to handle compile time options. Since one of gentoos
13 > strengths is that it can this seems an odd decision - what's the advantage
14 > over using the X and gtk USE settings like before?
15
16 I agree with you.
17
18 I have also been looking at the vim ebild before and wondered wether it
19 really installed everything it was supposed to on my system (I suspect
20 rgvim was missing :-)
21
22 The current ebuilds seem to be overly complex (they were fun to make
23 though, I read ;-). If I read the ebuilds properly, this is what would
24 (should) happen if I execute 'emerge gvim':
25
26 1. Compile vim, without gui support, and install using 'make install'
27 2. Compile vim, with gui support, copy the binary to the correct
28 location.
29
30 Seems like if I would want only 'terminal'-vim then I need to emerge
31 'vim-core'.
32
33 I believe it could all be done with a simpler ebuild than the current
34 three (four including the old one), by simply using the make files that
35 come with the tar-ball... or am I missing something fundamental here?
36
37 Now I am off to make my first ebuild, it'll be for vim ;-)
38
39 /M
43 Without chaos there would be no fun and games.
44 -- Jonah Kinata