From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 36: providing both CVS and Subversion?
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:44:17
1 On Sunday 10 April 2005 7:27 pm, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 18:12 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:39:45 -0400 Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@g.o>
4 > >
5 > > wrote:
6 > > | Regarding GLEP 36[1], solar has asked me to try and figure out a way
7 > > | to provide both CVS and Subversion for one repository and keep them
8 > > | sync'd somehow.
9 > >
10 > > Please don't. This would mean we'd have to stick with all of the
11 > > restrictions of CVS.
12
13 This is a technical no-go (at least a hell) to realize. So, forget about a
14 (realtime) synchronized cvs<->svn portage tree and alike.
15
16 > We have to do that anyway until cvs is phased out.
17
18 the sooner the better ^o^
19
20 > If you can think of a full battle plan for migrating everything at once
21 > that even includes tools etc, I'll be among the first to help getting it
22 > implemented.
23
24 Well, a full battle won't go that easy, however:
25
26 We're already working on a subversion migration into
27 official gentoo. So, please be patient.
28
29 We've been talking about this off-list for a long time
30 now - not just talking but also doing test conversions,
31 script fixing and alike.
32 We also had a little meeting right yesterday about an
33 open issues list I figured out.
34
35 So, sooner or shorter, we're announcing here some news on
36 this subject (oops, did I already by this?, so, I can say,
37 we're offering already existing svn repositories to be
38 merged into the gentoo svn repository, and we're offering
39 already existing sub-projects' CVS directories to be converted
40 on-demand. so, as soon as we're about to announce this service,
41 just drop us a note.
42
43 ka0ttic, you maybe overran me with your mail :-)
44
45 So far,
46 Christian Parpart.
49 Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
50 19:33:55 up 18 days, 8:40, 0 users, load average: 0.63, 0.55, 0.54