From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: cmake + ninja vs autotools
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 16:50:24
1 William L. Thomson Jr. <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > case ${CMAKE_MAKEFILE_GENERATOR} in
4 > emake)
5 > DEPEND="sys-devel/make"
6 > ;;
7 > ninja)
8 > DEPEND="dev-util/ninja"
9 > ;;
10
11 This is broken: Static metadata like DEPEND must not depend
12 on dynamic data like environment variables which are supposed
13 to change at emerge time.
14
15 > Only 2 thus far does not sound like most things would have issues.
16
17 In fact, almost nothing has issues. I am using
18 CMAKE_MAKEFILE_GENERATOR=ninja in my make.conf
19 since years, and the total list of packages which had
20 ever failed here (out of currently ~1500 installed)
21 is this:
22
23 dev-util/cmake
24 kde-apps/kate
25 kde-apps/gwenview
26 media-libs/avidemux-core
27 media-libs/avidemux-plugins
28 media-video/avidemux
29 media-video/kaffeine
30 media-video/kmplayer
31 net-vpn/kvpnc
32 sci-mathematics/reduce
33
34 This list might appear long, but note that
35
36 1. */avidemux* is essentially only 1 package
37 2. net-vpn/kvpnc is ancient and masked
38 3. sci-mathematics/reduce is ancient and masked
39
40 and moreover, perhaps some other entries of this list are even
41 obsolete (I do not have installed KDE 5, so I cannot try quickly;
42 when I had added the packages to the list, KDE 4 was rather new...)
43
44 > Ninja is most of the speed of meson less configure time savings
45
46 ++
47 For eix, the main motivation to support meson as an
48 alternative build system was to be able to use ninja...