From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: cmake + ninja vs autotools
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 02:03:46
1 On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 02:52:33 +0100
2 Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > In my user opinion this has no place in a ebuild unless upstream
5 > clearly say to use (or evidently use) ninja as it main generator.
6
7 I think Gentoo deviates from upstreams fairly considerably at times. I
8 see this as case where Gentoo can help facility things to upstream.
9 Maybe they haven't the time to test, etc.
10
11 Current example
12 https://sourceforge.net/p/firebird/mailman/firebird-devel/thread/assp.04935012e0.20171116111219.18e86899%40wlt.obsidian-studios.com/#msg36117925
13
14 > In cases where ninja is considered (by upstream) the best option,
15 > Michael suggestion to make it overridable is a very wise one.
16 > In that case, please also remember to depend on ninja
17
18 I do not think that is necessary unless it bypasses this
19
20 case ${CMAKE_MAKEFILE_GENERATOR} in
21 emake)
22 DEPEND="sys-devel/make"
23 ;;
24 ninja)
25 DEPEND="dev-util/ninja"
26 ;;
29 > Since other emails (by Christoph and Brian) in this thread make
30 > evident that it's not a drop in replacement,  fixing it in the eclass
31 > seem a bad idea, but that probably should be reconsidered when ninja
32 > become more capable.
33
34 Only 2 thus far does not sound like most things would have issues.
35 Maybe worth a bug to track stuff that builds fine and things that fail.
36 Could use the math alone to make a final call. More packages fail,
37 stick with make. if only a few, switch to ninja and have those stick
38 with the slow make.
39
40 Either way up to others. I am just passing on whats going on in many
41 other FOSS projects. Ninja is most of the speed of meson less configure
42 time savings.
45 William L. Thomson Jr.