From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revised: net-www break-up list
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:11:48
1 Hi Grant,
2
3 Thanks for the feedback.
4
5 On Thursday 08 July 2004 15:50, Grant Goodyear wrote:
6 > Here's some additional changes/comments:
7 >
8 > dev-python quixote is a web framework, so it should really go into
9 > www-something (www-apps, I suppose, but it's really a framework, not
10 > an app).
11
12 I'm a strong believer that dev-<lang> is the place for language-specific
13 frameworks. www-apps really is not the place.
14
15 > Also, I know that liquidx would like to start moving apps
16 > written in python out of dev-python into more useful categories, so in
17 > that spirit we should really move mod_python and skunkweb (neither of
18 > which are python _development_ tools) into more relevant categories. I
19 > gather that skunkweb is also a python web framework, so it should go
20 > wherever quixote ends up, and I would think that we would probably want
21 > a category for apache modules (which would give mod_python a home). All
22 > that said, I'm hardly a web expert, so I'm willing to let the experts
23 > make the decisions here.
24
25 I think that things like mod_python, mod_php, mod_mono are not clear cut.
26 Personally I like the arrangement we have with PHP, where mod_php lives in
27 dev-php. That seems very natural and intuitive. I would prefer mod_python
28 to live in dev-python for now for the same reason.
29
30 I believe that skunkworks, like quixote, belongs in dev-python, as it is a
31 language-specific framework. Developers who need it can easily find it, and
32 users who need it will have it automatically installed as a DEPEND or RDEPEND
33 as appropriate.
34
35 If dev-<lang> isn't going to contain the language runtime, and isn't going to
36 contain the application frameworks for the languages, there seems little
37 point in maintaining the dev-<lang> categories at all.
38
39 Best regards,
40 Stu
41 --
42 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
43 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
44 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
45
46 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
47 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C