From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revised: net-www break-up list
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:41:30
1 Stuart Herbert wrote: [Thu Jul 08 2004, 11:11:36AM EDT]
2 > I think that things like mod_python, mod_php, mod_mono are not clear cut.
3 > Personally I like the arrangement we have with PHP, where mod_php lives in
4 > dev-php. That seems very natural and intuitive. I would prefer mod_python
5 > to live in dev-python for now for the same reason.
6
7 For what it's worth, I also argued that php (the language itself) should
8 be in dev-lang, not dev-php, so using similar reasoning for mod_python
9 doesn't really appeal to me. Just as the languages are in dev-lang, I
10 feel that the language-specific apache modules should be in www-apache
11 (with the caveat that mod_php should probably remain in dev-php because
12 that's the preferred choice of the php folks).
13 >
14 > I believe that skunkworks, like quixote, belongs in dev-python, as it is a
15 > language-specific framework. Developers who need it can easily find it, and
16 > users who need it will have it automatically installed as a DEPEND or RDEPEND
17 > as appropriate.
18
19 I can accept that argument.
20
21 -g2boojum-
22 --
23 Grant Goodyear
24 Gentoo Developer
25 g2boojum@g.o
26 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
27 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76