From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: BASH feature: directory jumping w/o 'cd']
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:27:13
1 On Friday 12 March 2004 07:12 pm, Luke-Jr wrote:
2 > On Friday 12 March 2004 01:54 am, AJ Armstrong wrote:
3 > > I'd have issues with it. The main problem is that if bash currently
4 > > receives a directory where it is expecting a command, it fails
5 > > transparently.
6 > >
7 > > In bash scripts, or complex pipelined or xarg'd one-liners, when I make
8 > > an error that passes a directory instead of a command, I want it to
9 > > fail. I do _not_ want it to interpret that as a cd, move to another
10 > > directory, and carry on with what it was doing - say renaming or
11 > > deleting.
12 >
13 > Perhaps it could be provided as an alternate binary meant for shell usage
14 > only. Then any BASH scripts would continue to use the unmodified patch.
15
16 no offense, but that's a dumb idea
17
18 a 'good' solution has already been provided; namely adding a shopt to control
19 this behavior ...
20 alternatively, perhaps it could be added to bash-completion ? ive never looked
21 at the package so i cant say whether this is possible ;)
22 -mike
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list