From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] YaST will be GPL [Virus checked]
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:04:29
1 On 03/19/04 xtv@×××××.de wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > just read on heise.de (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/45773)
6 > that Novell is going to release SuSE's YaST under the GPL.
7 >
8 > Allthough most of its features are also available in other
9 > config-tools like webmin, some are pretty unique - on the one hand its
10 > simple setup which matches based on good default config 99% of all
11 > cases (e.g. postfix setup in 3 clicks working perfect, firewall setup
12 > in 3 clicks working perfect); on the other hand there are features
13 > like configuration of hylafax, voicebox etc which are really easy.
14 >
15 > I think this would be a good feature for desktop-gentoo-users which
16 > dont want to be intimidated with a too much on configuration details
17 > and/or missing skills to configure everything they want by webminor
18 > vi. Also you could replace the rpm-support with portage-support and
19 > would have a good base for a gentoo-installer.
20 >
21 > Do you think that this would fit into the gentoo-world? Or do I have
22 > missed some decision/gentoo-standards which say the way to go is eg.
23 > webmin?
24
25 My main problem with Yast is that either you use it for everything or
26 nothing. Also Yast isn't a simple config tool, it's a very system
27 integrated package in Suse, about 30% of the packages in a minimal Suse
28 installation are Yast related.
29 I assume it would require a large amount of patching to make it usable
30 on non Suse systems (different locations/formats of config files being
31 the most important reason).
32 One more thing: Yast has the tendency to emotionally affect people as
33 it's the key feature/problem of Suse, most people either use or leave
34 Suse because of Yast, so introducing it in Gentoo could result in some
35 strong emotions.
36 Personally I wouldn't put it in portage, IMO there are too many risks
37 associated with it.
38
39 Marius
44 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
45 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.