From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Last rites: x11-drivers/ati-drivers, x11-libs/amd-adl-sdk, x11-libs/xvba-video
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 03:37:04
1 Matt Turner posted on Thu, 26 Jan 2017 18:16:12 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > # Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> (26 Jan 2017)
4 > # Dead and replaced by media-libs/mesa[video_cards_radeonsi]
5 > # (or the proprietary amdgpu-pro, which is not in tree).
6 > # Masked for removal in 30 days.
7 > # Bug #582406
8 > x11-drivers/ati-drivers
9 > x11-libs/amd-adl-sdk
10 > x11-libs/xvba-video
11
12 What about folks running pre-si radeons? Radeon southern-island
13 generation isn't that old, you know.
14
15 Even if anything older is abandoned by the proprietary drivers (I
16 wouldn't know as I won't do proprietary drivers), people may still be
17 running older versions, with older kernels if required, and media-libs/
18 mesa with radeonsi isn't the correct migration path for them.
19
20 FWIW I was running Turks (northern-islands, pre-southern) until a few
21 weeks ago when I upgraded to a 4k TV as a primary display and decided to
22 upgrade the graphics to better handle it while I was at it.
23
24 (Tho for anyone thinking about it, the rx460, aka polaris11, I purchased,
25 ended up being a poor choice as despite the hardware apparently
26 supporting 3840x2160@60Hz, the freedomware drivers at least, apparently
27 don't yet, so at that resolution I'm stuck at the same 30Hz that I
28 believe I would have been stuck with on the older Turks card, which works
29 better otherwise as the drivers for it have had longer to mature.)
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman