From: Mark Miller <mirell@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] man pages - converted to DocBook/HTML
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:59:57
1 HTML wasn't the main thing that was the issue. Converting the man
2 pages from the ancient realm of troff into DocBook would actually be
3 the main issue.
4
5 With a properly formatted DocBook format, you can get your HTML,
6 XHTML, even PDF if you so desire.
7
8 The man page system is an ancient rendition of how to nicely set up a
9 book in directories, with the different directories different chapters
10 in your book when you printed it out, done, in, a typesetting
11 language, troff.
12
13 I don't know about you, but I surely would not print out _all_ of my
14 man pages to put into a binder.
15
16 This system needs a major overhaul. That's why I was helping Eric test
17 the 8,000 some odd line Python script he's written to be able to
18 automatically convert the troff/etc into DocBook XML format.