From: Dave Love <dlove@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kerberos questions
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 13:50:25
1 On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:13:45AM -0700, Jano Lukac wrote:
2 >
3 > Groovy on the kerberos stuff! Finally someone else interested in it :)
4 >
5 > Quick thing.. why the skey use? And isn't kerberos 4 "outdated" now, so
6 > almost as if saying, "why bother" ?
7
8 Good question. I'm personally only interested in K5, but since both are
9 included in the portage tree, I figured I might as well deal with both at
10 the same time. The more I get into it though, the more I realize that
11 testing it here is going to be a major pain, so I'll probably just leave
12 the kerberos4 stuff for someone that needs it.
13
14 The skey stuff is simply to satisfy my own curiousity.
15
16 <snip>
17 > > use kerberos4 && myconf="${myconf} --enable-krb4"
18 > > use kerberos4 || myconf="${myconf} --disable-krb4"
19 > > use kerberos5 && myconf="${myconf} --enable-gssapi"
20 > > use kerberos5 || myconf="${myconf} --disable-gssapi"
23 > I think you might be able to shorten this to the use foo && bar || that,
24 > but probably kills the readability and might cause a line wrap *shrug*.
25
26 I saw both forms used in various ebuilds and wasn't sure if there was a
27 standard or not, so I just opted for the more legible of the two.
28
29 > BTW, with the above, I'm assuming you can have both kerberos 4 and 5
30 > compiled into sasl (but I think I remember you cannot).
31
32 Enabling k4 and k5 in sasl works just fine here: since I don't have k4
33 installed, the configure script automatically disabled it. Oops. ;-)
34 Yet another reason to leave the k4 stuff for someone who needs it.
35
36 > > Am I on the right track here? It seems to work, but I want to
37 > > make certain I'm headed in the right direction before I go much
38 > > further.
39 >
40 > Looks like it. If kerberos 4 and 5 cannot coexist, then make a single
41 > virtual depend, or just don't do the virtual depend.
42
43 Good point. I think I still need the virtual depend for kerberos5 since
44 it can come from either the heimdal or krb5 packages, but there's no
45 reason to create 2 virtual packages for k4 and k5.
46
47 So I'm down to virtual/kerberos and the USE flag 'kerberos5'.
48
49 > jano
50
51 Thanks for the feedback!