From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On banning merge commits
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 12:04:52
1 On Mon, 9 May 2016 05:07:45 +1200
2 Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 9 May 2016 at 05:03, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
5 > > I was under the impression that merging is needed in order to
6 > > preserve commit signatures when e.g. merging someone else's work.
9 > Correct, but if the person applying the commits to tree is in fact
10 > reviewing them as they go, then the fact they re-sign it with their
11 > own signature
12 > ( and changing the commits "Committed by" in the process ) pretty much
13 > means the chain of custody is preserved.
16 yeah, i think we have the same chain of custody with ssh push auth +
17 safe servers + ssl pull, we don't need signing for this.
18
19 > That is, the fact the original signature is lost is immaterial,
20 > because we only need it as a signature that /somebody/ actually is
21 > responsible for the commit, and the person performing the rebase takes
22 > the essential responsibility in the process.
25 well, then I can commit crap with --author mrp@g.o and claim he
26 made me rebase it :)
27 I understand gpg signing of commits as a way to guarantee author is
28 correctly set and claims the commit.
31 Alexis.