From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On banning merge commits
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 14:18:13
1 On 11 May 2016 at 00:04, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 > well, then I can commit crap with --author mrp@g.o and claim he
3 > made me rebase it :)
6 Well, if you're going down that line ...
7
8 You don't rebase it, you just merge it, than then mrp claims obama
9 forced his hand to write the commit at gunpoint and sign it, and
10 that's why he is both --author and --committer
11
12 That's obviously silly talk :D
13
14 You put your name on it with your GPG key, then the responsibility
15 beyond that point is a social one, not a technical one.
16
17 The person who signed via GPG still holds the "Technical responsibility" :)
18
19 >I understand gpg signing of commits as a way to guarantee author is
20 > correctly set and claims the commit.
21
22 No. GPG commit signing only guarantees "committer". That's why git
23 rebase re-writes committer as well as re-signing it.
24
25 The committer metadata itself is no real guarantee either, because you
26 can twiddle COMMIT env vars and change that on a whim, so I could
27 forge a commit authored by mrp and committed by aballier ... and
28 unless you checked the GPG sig, you'd never know that I made it.
29
30 But by design, the signature only indicates who the person was who
31 *committed* a commit, it can never indicate the true author.
32
33 For instance, a commit *could* in theory be authored by somebody who
34 has no access to a computer, and I could copy-paste that data and
35 upload it.
36
37 The true author would never be known /unless/ I forged author data,
38 but I sure was the person who committed it.
39
40 And "Commit responsibility" is what we're trying to regulate here.
41 "Author metadata" is just for attribution/credits sake, and a *weak*
42 responsibility.
46 Kent
47
48 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL