From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bug #565566: Why is it still not fixed?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 05:49:17
1 On 24 February 2016 at 17:24, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Particularly when the basic changelog information is there, it's simply
3 > quibbling about chronological or reverse-chronological order we're doing
4 > now, and people who /really/ care about it by rights should be going
5 > straight to the git logs in the first place.
8 Gentoo actually make this problem worse than it should be.
9
10 Most of the suffering with having Changelogs in tree is due to the
11 whole "Every commit must have a changelog entry" madness, and the
12 natural consequences of having a lot of those leads to lots of merge
13 collision.
14
15 By comparison, in other places ( for example, CPAN ), having a dumb
16 git -> changelog mapping tends to be right up there on the list of
17 dumb ideas, and the natural response I have ( and most CPAN hackers
18 have ) upon seeing a git output based changelog is typically "close
19 page, assume there was no changes".
20
21 Like from a changelog perspective, I don't think anyone cares about
22 stabilization changes.
23
24 Its either stabilized, or it isn't, change logs indicating you tweaked
25 a flag tends to not be the sort of thing people go looking at
26 Changelogs for.
27
28 If you want granular, commit-by-commit details about what changed,
29 yes, Git _is_ the right option for that.
30
31 But having that level of detail in the changelog is itself the madness
32 we should avoid.
33
34 Changelogs are really supposed to be _for humans_ giving changes that
35 _humans_ will care about.
36
37 Like on Published Open Source software, things you tend to look at the
38 changelog for is:
39 - What are the new features in this new version
40 - What bugs were fixed in this new version
41 - What security concerns were resolved by this new version.
42
43 The point being "If I just look at the diff directly I might not
44 understand what is happening"
45
46 And that's why there's the convention of being recent-first.
47
48 Because you open the changelog at the top, and you read down consuming
49 the aggregate changes of relevance to you mentally, and then you stop
50 when you reach a version you've already seen.
51
52 A big log of "Stabilized X" is just ... a waste of time IME.
53
54 But I'm sure at least one person out there has probably gone looking
55 for a changelog to see when something got stabilized/keyworded.
56
57 If we released ourselves from this inanity of annotating every change
58 at a level beyond which normal people could care about, we could
59 probably get away with manually maintained Changelogs again.
60
61 Because not *every* change warrants telling an end user "Hey, we changed this".
64 Kent
65
66 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL