From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bug #565566: Why is it still not fixed?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 07:30:01
1 Kent Fredric posted on Wed, 24 Feb 2016 18:49:06 +1300 as excerpted:
2
3 > But I'm sure at least one person out there has probably gone looking for
4 > a changelog to see when something got stabilized/keyworded.
5
6 <raises hand>
7
8 In particular, I tend to be looking for this level of "introduced-on ymd
9 to the kde overlay, tho masked as unreleased upstream, unmasked to ~arch
10 in the overlay on ymd after upstream public release, introduced to the
11 main tree on ymd, revision-bumped to get the patch fixing problem to
12 users on ymd, first-arch-stabilized on ymd, x86 stabilized-on ymd, amd64-
13 stabilized on ymd, removed from tree as obsolete on ymd" type detail,
14 when comparing notes with for instance users running LFS and Arch on the
15 fresh end, and users running RHEL/CentOS/Debian-stable on the stale end.
16
17 Comparing this sort of version and stabilization history across distros,
18 cross-referenced with when particular bugs showed up or disappeared, can
19 be extremely helpful in tracking down whether problematic behavior is
20 version-limited or perhaps doesn't originate with the leaf app in
21 question at all, but instead, with some library that happened to be
22 updated on one distro at the particular time a bug appeared, that either
23 hasn't appeared or has been updated with a fix, on some other distro.
24
25 And I imagine tracking such ~arch keywording and stable-event dates could
26 be even more critical on less common archs with bugs that don't tend to
27 trigger on the common archs and that thus don't get fixed until someone
28 experiences and reports them on the trigger archs.
31 Tho I understand your point, and have had the same experience when
32 looking at, for instance, upstream kde git-level logs.
33
34 But to some extent it can be argued that at the distro packaging level as
35 opposed to the upstream code development level, every commit /is/
36 potentially of interest to users of that package, at least of the arch
37 involved if it's something like keywording/stabilizing, or the commit
38 likely wouldn't be worth making in the first place.
39
40 Which is one reason it's so frustrating that gentoo's git guidelines
41 recommend /against/ using merges and merge-comments as used with the
42 upstream Linux kernel, for instance. There, if I as an amd64 aka x86_64
43 user am not interested in say arm commits, they're all sectioned off in
44 big giant merges that I can look for and skip over perhaps hundreds of
45 arm commits once I see that merge is from arm. On gentoo, by contrast,
46 every single arm stabilization commit tends to be its own individual
47 commit to the tree, perhaps pushed as what /would/ be a single merge, but
48 with a recommended rebase, so each one appears individually instead of
49 under a single arm merge with that noted in the merge comment so I can
50 skip them all at once!
51
52 As a result I have to use a different log tracking strategy on the gentoo
53 git tree compared to to the kernel. Where on the kernel I'll often hit b
54 to go to the bottom and then crawl up the entire update log, checking for
55 merges and drilling down into components I'm interested in, on the kernel
56 I have to do an emerge --update --deep --newuse -ask in one terminal,
57 wait for it to generate its list of updates, then do a git log
58 ORIG_HEAD.. in another terminal, hit b to seek to the bottom and cache it
59 all, hit t to return to the top, and hit / and enter specific package
60 versions I'm interested in to search for. As a result, I don't pick up
61 the general community status information on packages/components I'm not
62 specifically interested in, that I do following the actually far more
63 detailed kernel commit logs, because to keep things manageable I have to
64 search for specific packages of interest instead of being able to exclude
65 entire merge trees with just a high level glance at the main merge
66 comment, where I actually /do/ pick up lots of general status information
67 about kernel subsystems I'm not generally interested in.
68
69 I guess another way of putting it in the context of changelogs, would be
70 that if gentoo were using git merges correctly, a changelog summary
71 generator could simply take the high-level merge summary comments and
72 turn that into its changelog summary. Instead of ten dozen individual
73 "cat-egory/pkg-x.y.z arm-stable" entries, there'd be one or two "arm-
74 stable various packages in these categories: xxx, yyy, zzz, aaa" entries,
75 and people who don't care about arm could skip the further detail while
76 still getting an overall idea of arm activity, while those who do care
77 about arm and want further information could drill down further as
78 necessary, but would be able to skip the corresponding merge entries for
79 x86 and amd64.
80
81 With proper git usage, the information would already be there in the git
82 log merge commit comments for people like me who like to read those, but
83 it would also be not only far simpler, but actually /possible/ to
84 automate a summarizer that generates summaries from only those merge
85 entries, that then could be stored in the rsync tree or published to
86 packages.gentoo.org or the gentoo front page, or wherever.
91 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman