From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bug #565566: Why is it still not fixed?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 10:36:07
1 On 24 February 2016 at 20:29, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > I guess another way of putting it in the context of changelogs, would be
3 > that if gentoo were using git merges correctly, a changelog summary
4 > generator could simply take the high-level merge summary comments and
5 > turn that into its changelog summary. Instead of ten dozen individual
6 > "cat-egory/pkg-x.y.z arm-stable" entries, there'd be one or two "arm-
7 > stable various packages in these categories: xxx, yyy, zzz, aaa" entries,
8 > and people who don't care about arm could skip the further detail while
9 > still getting an overall idea of arm activity, while those who do care
10 > about arm and want further information could drill down further as
11 > necessary, but would be able to skip the corresponding merge entries for
12 > x86 and amd64.
13 >
14 > With proper git usage, the information would already be there in the git
15 > log merge commit comments for people like me who like to read those, but
16 > it would also be not only far simpler, but actually /possible/ to
17 > automate a summarizer that generates summaries from only those merge
18 > entries, that then could be stored in the rsync tree or published to
19 > packages.gentoo.org or the gentoo front page, or wherever.
22 Indeed, we could probably establish better conventions for identifying
23 certain kinds of commits such that a static log analyser would be able
24 to give a good result.
25
26 And you can probably trivially filter out ( or in your case, filter
27 exclusively for ) changes that relate to a specific arch simply by
28 examining the "DIFF" data.
29
30 And we could probably to much better at formatting merge commits as
31 well ( I've been encouraging such a thing already because "merged
32 branch x/y/z" is not informative enough )
33
34 "Good" changelog automation pretty much relies on the quality of the
35 underling data and the ability to identify commits that are to be
36 included/excluded smartly, and pick the data out of those commits that
37 are relevant.
38
39 Though personally I feel for the goal of stabilization tracking, you
40 aught to be analysing the git repo. Not only can you then see when a
41 given package was stabilised, but you can see the other packages that
42 were stabilized in its proximity, which is way too hard to do with the
43 Changelogs.
47 Kent
48
49 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL