From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: EAPI spec (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:22:00
1 Ciaran,
2
3 Admittedly, I'm new to this PMS thing so in many cases I'm speaking
4 from a position of ignorance, but I guess I need to jump in
5 somewhere....
6
7 I think that standardization is a good thing and interoperability
8 between paludis, portage, pkgcore and others is something we should
9 strive for. If at all possible, I think that this standardization
10 effort should be "multi-lateral" in the sense that Gentoo and pkgcore
11 are also active participants in the standardization process.
12
13 Also, I don't think that the council itself needs to be involved
14 directly, as a standards/spec project can be created and worked on,
15 and the conformance of Portage to this standard can be measured, and
16 if desired Portage developers can tweak portage so that it is more
17 conformant to this standard. This can be done voluntarily by all
18 parties, as they deem it useful.
19
20 The goal would be to have the ability to measure a package manager's
21 behavior against a known standard, rather than force a certain package
22 manager to behave a certain way. I would expect that the general
23 concern for interoperability within the Gentoo community will
24 encourage package manager developers to work towards resolving any
25 interoperability problems that do exist.
26
27 I think standardization should focus on real interoperability issues,
28 rather than esoteric technical issues. I think a good way to start
29 would be to create some kind of test/regression suite in the portage
30 tree that can be used to measure the package manager's functionality.
31 Some stuff would be of an obvious pass/fail nature but other things
32 can be couched in more subjective terms - like "will unmerge device
33 nodes - yes/no "
34
35 That at least would allow us to measure where we are in terms of
36 interoperability, and identify future areas of improvement.
37
38 Like I said, I'm just getting familiar with all this but those are my thoughts.
39
40 -Daniel
41