From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] distcc stalling
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:33:06
1 Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Lisa Seelye wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 08:13, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> So I don't have to keep manually dealing with this, I opened an xterm
7 >>> on my desktop and ran 'while `sleep 30`; do /etc/init.d/distccd
8 >>> restart; done' to restart distccd every 30 seconds to prevent stalls.
9 >>> This is an ugly hack. Does anyone have any clue why I'm getting these
10 >>> stalls?
13 >> What do your system logs say?
14 >> Is distccd actually halting (`ps aux | grep distcc`)?
17 > Nothing actually shows up in the system logs. When I restart distccd on
18 > my desktop machine, I get a message on the laptop that says something
19 > about:
20 >
21 > unexpected EOF on fd5
22 > timeout waiting for token "DONE"
23 >
24 > The errors aren't in front of me, so that's from memory. I'm running
25 > distcc-2.13-r1 on both systems. My desktop has GCC 3.3.3 and the stage1
26 > tarball for my laptop has 3.3.2.
27
28 I thought maybe my problem was caused by the NIC I was using, since it had over 70,000
29 collisions and 8,000 packet errors in 16 hours. I switched to my wifi card after the
30 install and it still does the same thing with very few errors.
31
32 I've looked into it a little further. When it stalls like this, there is no instance of
33 'cc' or 'gcc' running on my desktop (slave), but the distcc connection hasn't closed yet.
34 The desktop machine never sends 'DONE' back to the laptop so it hangs there waiting for
35 it. When I run '/etc/init.d/distccd restart' on the desktop is closes the connection and I
36 get the error on the laptop saying that the connection was closed before it received
37 'DONE', even though the compile was completed on my desktop and sent back.
38
39 Both systems now have the same version of gcc, distcc, binutils, etc. My desktop machine
40 is an Athlon 1.3GHz w/768MB RAM and the laptop is a Pentium 233MHz w/40MB RAM (soon to be
41 160MB). I don't know if the machine specs make any difference.
44 Andrew Gaffney
45 Network Administrator
46 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
47 636-357-1548