From: "Tod M. Neidt" <tneidt@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] standards/conventions? (LDPATH, include files)
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 08:33:27
1 Hi!
2
3 I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. I should have
4 made my comments more explicit.
5
6 On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 04:10, Juergen Ilse wrote:
7
8 > > I also have a somewhat related question. Gentoo Linux doesn't seem to set a
9 > > global LD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental variable like most mainstream linux
10 > > distributions (RedHat, Debian, etc.) do.
11 >
12 > It is unnecessary. Using LD_LIBRARY_PATH is also dangerous. It is nothing
13 > more than a workaround (except for cases, where a user wants to use his
14 > own libraries, which are not installed at the "official places).
15 > The "clean way" is to include the library-directories in /etc/ld.so.conf
16 > and to use "ldconfig" to update the cache-file (in this case, setting
17 > LD_LIBRARY_PATH should be unnecessary for using the system-libraries).
18 I agree.
21 > > I far as I can tell, this is a _good_ thing.
22 >
23 > I don't think so.
24 >
25 I meant it is a _good_ thing that Gentoo Linux does _not_ use
26 LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
27 > > (see http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html).
28 >
29 > It looks to me, that the author of this website thinks, that "LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
30 > ist a very bad idea at all ...
31 >
32 Exactly, which is why I cited the webpage. It seems to explain why
33 LD_LIBRARY_PATH should not bet used well.
34 > > However, some applications look for this variable.
35 >
36 > If an application itself (not only the shared library loader) looks for
37 > LD_LIBRARY_PATH, may be this application is *broken* ...
38 >
39 > > Is there a way, around this? Specifically, I've been looking into Webmin
40 > > (http://www.webmin.com/webmin/), and trying to work up some gentoo config
41 > > files for it. The top level config file seems to want LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
42 >
43 > Than fix this config file or fix the application. *DON'T TRY TO FIX THINGS
44 > THAT ARE NOT BROKEN!* Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH globally will IMHO do so ...
45 Let me provide a little more information. Webmin is a web application
46 for configuring and administering Unix boxes remotely. It is
47 essentially a bunch of perl scripts.
48 > > At least that is what is in the config files for the other
49 > > distributions.
50 >
51 > Not all, what you will find in other distributions is really good ...
54 Here is an example top-level config file for Redhat:
55 ******config-redhat-linux******
56
57 find_pid_command=ps auwwwx | grep NAME | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $2
58 }'
59 path=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
60 ld_env=LD_LIBRARY_PATH
61
62 *************************
63
64 In fact, the toplevel webmin config files for redhat, debian, mandrake,
65 slackeware, suse, and linux from scratch as well at openbsd, netbsd and
66 even soloaris all have ld_env=LD_LIBRARY_PATH (the path variable changes
67 though). Interestingly, the solaris config also uses
68 ld_path=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/dt/lib which isn't in the
69 linux configs.
70
71 Let me sum up. I am not saying that Gentoo Linux should or even needs
72 LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I am just trying to figure out how to configure webmin
73 for Gentoo. It should be relatively painless because all you need to do
74 is add config-gentoo-linux files describing the Gentoo environment to
75 the top-level and the module subdirectories. I just happen to be stuck
76 on how to set ld_env. Webmin is actually a very nice application, so I
77 think it is worth it.
78
79 tod