From: Lim Swee Tat <st_lim@×××××.net>
To: Greg Aumann <Greg_Aumann@×××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo-UTF8
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:04:23
1 Hi,
2 It will be interesting to see this happen. Does this happen at the
3 xfree layer of things or does this happen at the kde level of things??
4 I'm interested to help out with this.
5
6 Ciao
7 ST Lim
8
9 On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 10:41, Greg Aumann wrote:
10 > I am quite interested in converting my gentoo system to UTF-8. I haven't
11 > gone any further than using a UTF-8 locale yet. I am also writing an
12 > ebuild for the Openi18n input method framework
13 > http://www.openi18n.org/subgroups/im/IIIMF/
14 >
15 > I am particularly interested in input methods, fonts and getting Chinese
16 > going under UTF-8.
17 >
18 > Greg
19 >
20 > > Hello,
21 > > I'm looking for some advice to make a Gentoo installation thats
22 > > completely UTF-8 compliant. This is a developer issue, as I'm also
23 > > looking for what regards will be required from our side to make UTF-8
24 > > the default for applications and userspace tools, as well as how to make
25 > > it work nicely in the console.
26 > >
27 > > So far I think RedHat is the one distribution thats "ahead" in this
28 > > case, (I haven't had the chance to try SuSe) but they fail too (gtk+-1.2
29 > > for example will make fun things happen when it hits öæøØÆÅÄÖåä )
30 > >
31 > > So, a roadmap of sorts, perhaps documentation and a list of "broken
32 > > apps" in regards to this would be a nice start, and then providing
33 > > buildfixes and patches to make things work as supposed....
36 > > yep, this goal is pretty big and will be a long time thing that should
37 > > probably be covered by USE="utf8" or other flag, but in this case I'm
38 > > looking for input from developers and users who have ideas on how to
39 > > make this happen and make it a smooth transition.
42 > > //Spider
46 > --
47 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
48 -- oOoOo She is descended from a long line that her mother listened
49 oOoOo oOoOo to. oOoOo oOoOo -- Gypsy Rose Lee oOoOo