From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 12:14:11
1 On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 7:55 AM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Create like, a table on the Wiki or some kind of metadata property per-package
4 > that can contain a boolean or tri-state flag indicating whether it works or
5 > doesn't work (or kinda works) on split-usr. Or a tracker on Bugzie. Something.
8 I'm sure there will be a tracker for packages that don't work on a
9 merged /usr. (We are already on a split /usr.)
10
11 Honestly, I'm still not quite sure why we're even having this
12 discussion. I don't think anybody actually intends to make any
13 changes at all. If they do, they should issue some kind of plan and
14 indicate what they're looking for from everybody else.
15
16 Such as: "Hello, I help maintain baselayout and I intend to change
17 /(s)lib and /(s)bin and /usr/sbin into symlinks to /usr/bin and move
18 all the files into those directories there. To test this out now
19 please do xyz, and report any bugs against tracker #123456."
20
21 Or: "Hello, I help maintain baselayout and I just introduced a new USE
22 flag which does ... I think it is something you should try out. Bugs
23 can be reported at..."
24
25 Or: "Hello, I think the baselayout maintainers are idiots and I just
26 introduced librelayout which does ... You should definitely switch
27 because only losers run with a split /usr. Bugs can be reported at...
28 Oh, and my fancy librelayout doesn't need gen_usr_ldscript so I
29 select_one_of('won't lift a finger to keep it working', 'will just
30 laugh at the folks who are wasting their time keeping it working')."
31
32 It seems to me that we're just having a general discussion about the
33 pros/cons of a /usr merge. That is nice, but people are getting
34 worked up because they think that somehow whoever "loses" this
35 "discussion" will get something shoved down their throats or won't be
36 able to have something nice.
37
38 Almost every big change that has become popular in Gentoo just started
39 out as another alternative, and support grew organically. I don't
40 really see the need to reach some kind of consensus here. I'd love to
41 have an option of a /usr merge and a migration path. I'd love to see
42 it as the default, but that is a different discussion, and if it is
43 optional then it is also a less contentious discussion whichever way
44 it goes.
47 Rich