From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 08:43:20
1 On 08/07/2012 09:00 PM, Olivier Crête wrote:
2 > I expect that in the not so long term, systemd will become an essential
3 > user-space component of desktop Linux, just like crond, syslog, dbus,
4 > udev or glibc. Sharing that code just makes sense, that allows
5
6 As in completely optional and easily replaceable? That would be a nice
7 improvement over the current "use it or die" attitude.
8
9 > distributions to focus on their strength instead of having to maintain a
10 > nightmare of shell scripts. Sure you can do a Android and write your own
11 > crappier version, but that doesn't gain you anything.
12
13 Repeat after me: having your first process require anything more than
14 libc is stupid and dangerous.
15
16 Once that concept gets accepted then we could discuss about why
17 reinventing shellscript may not be that sound and other less glaring,
18 horrid and appalling design choices.
19
20 Most ideas behind systemd are interesting, their current implementation
21 is sometimes completely wrong and given the experience with pulseaudio
22 we all know that they won't change even if you provide code for it.
23
24 Obviously it is always fun seeing people first say "accept it or fork
25 it", then "do not keep your fork you are wasting time" once somebody
26 starts forking and/or working for an alternative.
29 lu