From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pending dooooooom of use.defaults
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:52:47
1 On Friday 13 January 2006 15:13, solar wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 06:57 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > as one of the new sane features of the next portage-2.1_pre release,
4 > > we're looking to cut out use.defaults support
5 >
6 > I see this as a good and bad thing. Good in one hand that less autojunk
7 > would be enabled like python/perl bindings not being added to every
8 > program on your system that supports it. Bad in the other hand I see
9 > the state of profiles getting worse=more bloated.
10
11 i dont really see the profiles getting any more USE flags than they already
12 have ... as for bloated, i see it as being a more-than-worth-it trade off
13 when it comes to stability
14
15 a profile-based USE will always stay the same while a autouse-based USE may
16 fluctuate greatly based upon what the user emerges from day to day
17
18 > The autouse itself is not a bad feature or idea if it were used properly.
19
20 there is no used properly or improperly when it comes to use.defaults
21 -mike
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list