From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Application name in metadata.xml
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 21:15:21
1 On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 20:37 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Sun, 12 Feb 2012, Paweł Hajdan, wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 2/11/12 2:00 PM, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
5 > >> Other distros associate a more user-friendly package name
6 > >> (application name) to packages.
7 > >> Say, they bind libreoffice-writer to "LibreOffice Writer" in
8 > >> package metadata.
9 >
10 > [Replying to a random message in this thread.]
11 >
12 > Why do you think that writing the package name in mixed case and with
13 > embedded white space would be more "user friendly"?
14
15 because-removing-all-upper-case-spaces-and-punctuation-from-a-string
16 makes it less readable to a non-programmer.
17
18 > >> How about expanding metadata.xml (adding to its .dtd) to also
19 > >> support this?
20 >
21 > I still don't see what this would buy us. So far we have a unique
22 > identifier (namely ${CATEGORY}/${PN}) for our packages. Introducing
23 > another name will water this down and cause confusion for users, in
24 > the first place.
25 >
26 > So, can you point out what are the advantages of your proposal?
27 > Are they large enough to outweigh the confusion arising?
28
29 Users know a package's "natural name", not the occasionally cryptic
30 ebuild name, and certainly not the category. If I want to install a game
31 called "Neverwinter Nights", it may not be immediately apparent to me
32 that I should emerge something called "games-rpg/nwn".
33
34 Adding the natural name to metadata would allow users to more easily
35 find the packages they need via packages.gentoo.org and tools like eix.
36
37 -Alexandre