From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] enewuser/enewgroup getting their own eclass
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:35:46
1 On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 12:52 -0600, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 01:15:52PM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > OK. I've been looking at some of these issues we've been having, and
4 > > I've been thinking of moving enewuser, egetent, and enewgroup to their
5 > > own eclass. This will resolve some issues with things in system, or
6 > > otherwise early on, requiring shadow on Linux to get useradd. Two
7 > > examples of this are bug #113298 and bug #94745. By putting them in
8 > > their own eclass, we can keep from adding shadow to DEPEND in eutils,
9 > > while still putting the dependency in the eclass that uses it.
10 >
11 > You do this, and you'll break binpkgs that rely on it existing in
12 > eutils. Yes it's annoying, but you _have_ to lead the functionality
13 > in eutils, duplicating it into whatever class you shove it into.
14
15 I had thought that this was resolved already in portage.
16
17 > That's the other side of the "can't remove eclasses" rule- can't yank
18 > functionality that is going to break installed ebuilds and binpkgs.
19
20 Fine. I can simply make a new eclass and change the affected ebuilds.
21 I really don't have a problem with this. The main reason for it is that
22 whatever eclass that enewuser is in really needs to DEPEND on shadow on
23 Linux. Which brings up another point. I see that a good number of
24 packages are calling enewuser in pkg_preinst.
25
26 These packages do not need shadow (though the system might, but that's
27 outside my scope) once they are installed, only to install. However, it
28 is not needed to build. What *DEPEND is correct?
29
30 > > I'd be willing to make all the changes to the tree to facilitate this,
31 > > and unless someone has a really good reason not to do so, I think I'll
32 > > probably do it after the Thanksgiving holiday.
33 >
34 > I'd delay this a bit personally, since it's a widespread change, and
35 > because people are probably going to be offline due to holiday cruft.
36
37 I was planning on taking care of it myself. I was going to remove the
38 functions from eutils.eclass as my last step, but now I would simply
39 skip that step. I would probably do something like add a warning to the
40 functions under eutils.eclass, too.
41
42 > Yah... you probably have the time to do it during the holiday stuff,
43 > but again, affecting a sizable collection of packages and requires
44 > ebuild devs to change the eclasses they're using.
45 >
46 > Plus the binpkg issue from above. ;)
47 > ~harring
48 --
49 Chris Gianelloni
50 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead