From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: jmbsvicetto@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add bc back to the stage3
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 21:37:29
1 On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 04:05:19 +0000 (UTC)
2 "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 27 Sep 2014, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 13:22:45 +0100
7 > > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 12:47:14 +0200
10 > >> Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
11 > >>> Because I'd expect a stage3 to be posix compliant
12 > >>
13 > >> I agree. It's time to replace nano with Vim.
14 > >
15 > > Vim is not fully POSIX compliant; you may find it claim "mostly" in
16 > > its documentation, but that's where it stays at and thus doesn't
17 > > suffice...
18 > >
19 > > While we're at it, we must make everyone use a POSIX IDE with a
20 > > ribbon!
21 > >
22 > > Jokes aside, this sub discussion is pointless; if we want results, a
23 > > moderated mailing list as suggested in a reply won't cut it!
24 >
25 > It seems like everyone needs to "chill" a bit. Ciaran wasn't
26 > trolling, he was making a point. I'm sure everyone around here
27 > understood his point. There were no attacks and no "foul language",
28 > so can we move forward?
29
30 Constructiveness does not rely on just making points, as replacing nano
31 with Vim is out of the context of adding bc back to stage3. Editors are
32 a world apart from a build tool, even more so from being POSIX. In
33 order to move forward beyond this point, that needs to be recognized.
34
35 Does that make him attacking / foulish / trollish / unchilling? No;
36 actually, it is helpful / smart / fluffy / chilling towards consensus
37 as both the opposite and sarcastic interpretations help form that.
38
39 > > What is really needed here is a vote by the Council on whether to
40 > > add bc back to the stage3. If the people do insist, another vote
41 > > regarding adding or changing an editor to stage3 could be done as
42 > > well.
43 >
44 > No, there isn't a need for a Council vote here.
45
46 Not in the way of having the Council actually vote, but by waking up
47 everyone from these endless side points sub discussions by escalation.
48
49 > This is something up
50 > to Releng (in respect to what is in the stages) and to everyone in
51 > respect to what is part of the system set.
52 > Further, to me, this is a case where if anyone tries to side-step
53 > Releng and go over it with a Council decision, than the council
54 > members should be ready to start doing Releng work.
55 >
56 > I've stopped following this mailing list regularly quite sometime
57 > ago. To see this thread is still going on and no one bothered to cc
58 > releng, to me shows a lack of respect for the people actually doing
59 > releases around here, as well as a real lack of interest in getting
60 > this done as you can discuss this all you want, but in the end, it's
61 > releng that works on this.
62
63 If people desire a change, it'll be discussed for an eternity; until ...