From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 08:01:28
1 On 08/01/2011 10:45 AM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Samuli Suominen schrieb:
3 >
4 >> that's my impression now too since nobody has managed to provide useful
5 >> case for separate /usr, or they have been very vague like adding 1+1 on
6 >> / and /usr filesystem sizes and counting the risk of corrupted
7 >> filesystem from that (one word: backup)
8 >
9 > Maybe I have to explain in more detail:
10 > When is there a risk of data corruption involving /usr? For example,
11 > when the filesystem which contains /usr is being written to while the
12 > power fails or the kernel panics. But /usr is almost never written to,
13 > it is the other directories like /home, /var or the upcoming /run.
14 >
15 > Backup is orthogonal to this question.
16
17 should think this inverse; make separate partitions for the data
18 directories such as /home or /var
19 have /usr on /
20 so when / goes down, you still keep your data
21
22 right?