From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:07:24
1 On Thursday 25 April 2013 15:09:28 vivo75@×××××.com wrote:
2 > On 04/24/13 21:17, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 09:00:17PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > >> On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:16:06 -0500 William Hubbs wrote:
5 > >>> This means when you emerge or upgrade to openrc-0.12, the net.* scripts
6 > >>> will no longer be included. I am going to call the separate package
7 > >>> that includes these scripts gentoo-oldnet.
8 > >>
9 > >> Aside all the other, please don't name it like this :). It's just feels
10 > >> wrong to start new and supposedly beneficial project and name it 'old'
11 > >> like something you just thrown away off the main tree.
12 > >
13 > > The name is also per robbat2's request. I asked him about other names,
14 > > but he specifically wanted oldnet in the name.
15 > >
16 > > A little bit of historical background may be in order here.
17 > >
18 > > In a nutshell, it is called old because Roy wanted to deprecate the
19 > > whole thing eventually and switch us over to the newnet scripts that
20 > > OpenRC has.
21 > > name.
22 > >
23 > > We thought about killing off newnet entirely for a while in OpenRC, but
24 > > I have since found that people do use it. It is more similar to what
25 > > happens on the *bsd side, and it works well for simple setups.
26 >
27 > s/it works well for simple setups/it work wonderfully for very complex
28 > setups/
29 >
30 > It can mimic very closely the 'ip' command, making it easy to test on
31 > commandline and just copy and paste in conf.d/net.
32 > At the same time it benefit from a lot of howtos and tutorials written
33 > for sys-apps/iproute2
34 >
35 > "old"net is the best network manager out there including all major distro.
36
37 William is talking about newnet when he says "works well for simple setups"
38 -mike