From: Vitaly Kushneriuk <vitaly_kushneriuk@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] qpkg
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:02:38
1 On Sun, 2002-01-13 at 19:39, Miguel Sousa Filipe wrote:
2 > Hi all!
3 >
4 > Allthough i'm not using gentoo for a while, i'm tracking, the mailing
5 > lists.. to check out how its going.
6 > About qpgk, i believe that if it's not allready quite a handy "pocket knife"
7 > in Gentoo, it will become one, I find it so "cool" and practical, basically,
8 > ITS A MUST in gentoo.
9 Thanks :-)
10
11 > It would be nice to also check, and "confront" the available version, with
12 > the installed version of a package that has just been queried. Something
13 > like:
14 > I do not know if it does this.. but it would be nice.. to see the version
15 > of the installed and the latest version available.
16
17 Proper implementation would require checking with package mask.
18 I'll think if it can be done in bash.
19 This kind of tool should be implemented in python.
20 I wrote it initialy as a replacer for my frequent
21 "grep ... /var/db/pkg/*/*/CONTENTS" etc. stuff. It quite involved since
22 then, and now it's kind of reached state when it's easier to reimplement
23 it in Python then add some useful feature to the existing bash
24 implementation. I'll defently do it when I have time. Expect it to be
25 ready soon :-). Any feature requests?
26
27 BTW, Python is my weapon of choise for most non trivial scripting.
28 The reasons I used bash, are:
29 1) I didn't want to reimplement grep :-)
30 grep/sed stuff is realy fast. "pkgsearch portage" is 10 times
31 faster then "pkgsearch portage". ( well, I guess reimplementation
32 of pkgsearch to not allways load the entire db would help)
33 2) I wanted it quick and I allready had some bash scripts that
34 perform a single task.
35 1) it was fun