From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] separate /usr without initramfs
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 19:55:54
1 On 10/27/2019 12:12, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 3:06 AM James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 05:38:48 -0400
5 >> Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Why do I not like an initramfs, though? Well, for one, it complicates the
8 >>> kernel compiles (and it makes them bigger, something which is an issue on
9 >>> the old SGI systems at times). Two, it's another layer that I have to
10 >>> maintain. Three, it violates, in my mind, the simplicity of keeping the
11 >>> kernel and userland separated (e.g., kernel does kernel-y things, userland
12 >>> does userland-y things).
13 >>
14 >> You make it sound like the initramfs has to be built into the kernel
15 >> image. It can be but it usually isn't. I suspect you know that though?
16 >> Admittedly that does depend on support from your bootloader. While GRUB
17 >> and U-Boot have supported this for years, I forget what oddball
18 >> bootloaders your hardware may be using.
19 >
20 > Though he's likely not using it, GRUB2 supports all the platforms he
21 > mentioned (x86, amd64, sparc64, [sgi] mips).
22
23 Nope, never took to GRUB. Never bought into the selling point of "you don't
24 have to edit a config file for every kernel update". Also don't have a
25 working sparc64 box anymore, as the Blade 100 died quite a long time ago. I
26 still have a SunFire v240, but it's got a PROM release that can't netboot,
27 and the updated version that can was released 3 days after Oracle bought Sun
28 and locked SunSolve up (thanks, Oracle). Plus the thing is as loud as a jet
29 engine.
30
31 As far as GRUB working on SGI systems, that's news to me. ARCS is pretty
32 unique on each SGI system, so it's not like one can write a tiny bit of code
33 to cover them all. I'll have to investigate GRUB's documentation to see if
34 can deal w/ machines running ARCS, and whether it can handle IP27, IP30, and
35 even IP35.
38 Joshua Kinard
39 Gentoo/MIPS
40 kumba@g.o
41 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
42 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
43
44 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
45 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
46
47 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic