From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reminder: ALLARCHES
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 14:48:07
1 Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > "doing your job"
3
4 Remember that everyone is a volunteer.
7 > dropping stable keywords on everything but the bare necessities
8
9 Gentoo magically does a number of things which upstream never
10 intended and do not intentionally support. It is amazing, and
11 thank you so much to everyone who makes it possible!
12
13 At the same time all the upstream crap is pretty tragic.
14
15 I am absolutely in favor of exposing users to it, rather than the
16 happy Gentoo garden full of magic patches :) and fast-path:ing bugs
17 upstream when things do not work. In an ideal world, upstream would
18 care. Of course many don't, and patches may still end up in Gentoo,
19 but then at least users would know, and might get involved upstream,
20 where they can actually help improve the package. Gentoo is the wrong
21 place for that, so it doesn't make sense for them to get involved in
22 Gentoo.
23
24 I think unstable on (most) everything would be a great thing.
27 Again: Thanks to everyone who contributes to Gentoo! :)
30 //Peter