From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] questions of semantics in ebuild.sh
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:21:10
1 On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 05:04, Drake Wyrm wrote:
2 > When ebuild.sh is called to perform one of the steps of a merge, it mostly
3 > uses one of the dyn_* functions to perform the task. The dyn_* function,
4 > in turn, usually does some prepwork, calls a pkg_* or src_* function,
5 > and does some followup. My questions are in regard to the meaning of
6 > those prefixes. The "pkg_" and "src_" prefixes seem descriptive enough,
7 > but unnecessary. Why were "src_unpack", "src_compile", and "src_install"
8 > chosen vice "pkg_unpack", etc.? What does "dyn" refer to, anyway?
9 >
10 > I know these questions probably seem rather pointless, but those names
11 > mean (or meant) something to somebody. I am trying to understand what
12 > the designers of Portage were thinking to help me understand how Portage
13 > works.
14
15 Well, I am going to take a shot here. Even though I am not a portage
16 developer, I would think that the src_ names only deal with actualsource
17 code, whereas the pkg_ names deal with "packages" as a whole. Remember
18 that Gentoo now also has support for binary packages, along with
19 building straight from source. The pkg_ steps are common to both
20 packages and source, whereas the src_ steps are for source builds only.
23 Chris Gianelloni
24 Developer, Gentoo Linux
25 Games Team
26