From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: News item (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] New, shiny EAPI=5 profiles: volunteer, procedure, preparations)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:03:04
1 Am Sonntag, 10. Februar 2013, 15:15:43 schrieb Markos Chandras:>
2 > I suspect most people are interested in understanding what changed
3 > (since deprecation means that the new thing is better than the old
4 > one). Moreover, the news item is another way to assure them that
5 > everything is not as bad as the initial "red warning" might had made
6 > them think so and "keep calm and use Gentoo" ;-)
7
8 OK, here's a news item (actually two, separate for server and non-server
9 profiles). Since it's a bit late now, I'll commit this or the improved version
10 after discussion here in 6h (21:00 UTC) unless there are severe protests.
11
12 -- the non-server profile variant (sparing you a lot of Display-If-Profile
13 lines)
14
15 Title: New 13.0 profiles and deprecation of 10.0 profiles
16 Author: Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o>
17 Content-Type: text/plain
18 Posted: 2013-02-10
19 Revision: 1
20 News-Item-Format: 1.0
21 Display-If-Profile: default/linux/alpha/10.0
22 Display-If-Profile: default/linux/alpha/10.0/desktop
23 [...]
24 Display-If-Profile: default/linux/x86/10.0/desktop/kde
25 Display-If-Profile: default/linux/x86/10.0/developer
26
27 We have generated a new set of profiles for Gentoo installation. These are now
28 called 13.0 instead of 10.0. Everyone should upgrade as soon as possible (but
29 please make sure sys-apps/portage is updated to current stable *before* you
30 switch profile).
31 This brings (nearly) no user-visible changes. Some new files have been added
32 to the profile directories that make it possible for the developers to do more
33 fine-grained use flag masking (see PMS-5 for the details), and this formally
34 requires a new profile tree with EAPI=5.
35
36 -- the server profile variant (sparing you the headers entirely)
37
38 We have generated a new set of profiles for Gentoo installation. These are now
39 called 13.0 instead of 10.0. Everyone should upgrade as soon as possible (but
40 please make sure sys-apps/portage is updated to current stable *before* you
41 switch profile).
42 This brings (nearly) no user-visible changes. Some new files have been added
43 to the profile directories that make it possible for the developers to do more
44 fine-grained use flag masking (see PMS-5 for the details), and this formally
45 requires a new profile tree with EAPI=5.
46 In the course of this change, the "server" profiles will be removed; they do
47 not exist in the 13.0 tree anymore. You should migrate to the corresponding
48 parent profile. This may change the default value of some use-flags. The
49 specific setting in "server" was
50 USE="-perl -python snmp truetype xml"
51 You may want to check the setting of these flags after switching profile, but
52 otherwise nothing changes.
59 Andreas K. Huettel
60 Gentoo Linux developer
61 dilfridge@g.o