From: Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 16:55:58
1 On Fri, 10 May 2013 06:09:32 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 3:45 AM, Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > The other thing is those unit files really should come from upstream
7 > > and other distributions urge their developers to work with upstream
8 > > [1] Therefore I'd require an upstream bug for each unit that we add.
9 >
10 > Makes sense, though I wouldn't necessarily make it a hard requirement.
11 > Also, upstream units may not be usable as-is. They might reference
12 > incorrect file locations (though I'd hope not for the most part), and
13 > in particular dependency naming will always be a challenge.
14
15 Adopting a package to distribution specifics is perfectly valid. But
16 here it's about adding functionality to a package that wasn't there
17 before. The usual reaction in such situations is to tell users to bug
18 upstream about it first.
21 > Upstream rejection of a unit should certainly not lead to Gentoo
22 > rejection of a unit, any more than their rejection of a script for
23 > OpenRC should. Upstreams will likely be slow to embrace the
24 > init-scripts-aren't-just-for-distros thing.
25 >
26 > Rich
29 If an upstream bug is filed and upstream says fuck off there is still a
30 bug report which would meet the requirement. Maybe some other distro
31 even filed the bug already for us.