From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:09:38
1 On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 3:45 AM, Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o> wrote:
2 > The other thing is those unit files really should come from upstream
3 > and other distributions urge their developers to work with upstream [1]
4 > Therefore I'd require an upstream bug for each unit that we add.
5
6 Makes sense, though I wouldn't necessarily make it a hard requirement.
7 Also, upstream units may not be usable as-is. They might reference
8 incorrect file locations (though I'd hope not for the most part), and
9 in particular dependency naming will always be a challenge.
10
11 Upstream rejection of a unit should certainly not lead to Gentoo
12 rejection of a unit, any more than their rejection of a script for
13 OpenRC should. Upstreams will likely be slow to embrace the
14 init-scripts-aren't-just-for-distros thing.
15
16 Rich