From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 00:47:37
1 Michał Górny posted on Mon, 08 Feb 2016 13:46:06 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > 4. eudev is underdocumented, and the maintainer admits that 'he sucks at
4 > documenting'. In fact, did anyone even bother to note how far eudev
5 > diverges from upstream udev to this point?
6
7 IMO that's the most important of the four issues.
8
9 While I switched to systemd some some time ago (I guess it's close to two
10 years?), for those choosing openrc, given udev/systemd's upstream plans
11 to go kdbus and hard-lockin to kdbus enabled kernels when that happens,
12 plus the fact that they strongly discourage and don't really support
13 separate udev already, it just doesn't make sense to me to default to
14 systemd-udev on a non-systemd system.
15
16 But strong documentation is one of the things I appreciated about gentoo
17 back in the day, it's one of the things I appreciate about systemd today,
18 and it sounds like it's the biggest thing lacking in eudev, certainly so
19 going forward from that kdbus thing coming to pass (*IF* it does, the
20 jury, with Linus as the jury foreman, is still out on that one) in
21 upstream systemd-udev and kernel and apps eventually being built assuming
22 that, as at that point it's unlikely that eudev users will simply be able
23 to use udev documentation any longer, as they can in general practice,
24 today.
25
26 Of the first three issues, #1 (conflict-induced fork) and #2 (vanilla api)
27 really don't apply so much to (e)udev as to systemd -- if you're a
28 programmer targeting "vanilla", by definition, these days you're
29 targeting systemd, and if you're *not* targeting systemd, by definition,
30 you're no longer targeting vanilla and are thus dealing with all sorts of
31 adaptations already, and both users and devs are already in a non-vanilla
32 choice once they've chosen non-systemd. Doing the same for eudev vs udev
33 will add only trifling incrementally to that, like arguing whether taking
34 a taxi or the city bus to your hotel will be faster, once you've chosen
35 to go by cruise ship instead of airline.
36
37 #3 (eudev falling behind at times) could be a bit of a problem, but if it
38 has been ahead at times as well, as already argued, without further
39 information on specific instances, it's impossible to judge and thus is a
40 wash.
41
42 Meanwhile, missing documentation affects all three of those as well as
43 being its own, very critical, point. If there's a reason to oppose the
44 default switch, it'd be that, and that's where I believe some focus will
45 need to be for eudev to be taken seriously, long-term, particularly given
46 how well systemd is documented, making it easy for developers and users
47 alike to simply settle on it as their standard, leaving support for other
48 alternatives to those who might feel the need to develop and document
49 them, and if they're not documented, well...
54 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman