From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:33:34
1 On Wednesday 17 May 2006 15:50, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 May 2006 01:58:02 +0200 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | I haven't had a look at Paludis (the name sucks as much as the name
6 > | eselect had, before it was named eselect, btw.) yet, so I don't have
7 > | an opinion on it
8 >
9 > Aah, and this sums up this entire thread. "The name sucks. I haven't
10 > used it. It isn't pink enough."
11
12 Please do not mix up the flaming between you and Diego with my email. Yes, it
13 isn't pink enough and I don't like your ponytail either. :p
14
15 > Nice idea in theory. In reality, Portage is a big incestuous mess and
16 > can't have that kind of change made to it
17
18 The former yes, the latter statement is questionable.
19
20 > , and defining such an
21 > interface between package manager parts would take considerably more
22 > time and code than just rewriting the whole thing.
23
24 That won't mean you face the same situation at one point again, so you likely
25 have to spent the same or even more amount of time, just over a longer time
26 frame.
27
28 > Having said that,
29 > you can swap around pretty much any component of Paludis, since it's
30 > proper modular code -- Kugelfang has a mostly working implementation of
31 > a CRAN repository, for example.
32
33 Doesn't sound like independent runtime components, as I am proposing.
36 Carsten