From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:01:35
1 On Wed, 17 May 2006 01:58:02 +0200 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | I haven't had a look at Paludis (the name sucks as much as the name
4 | eselect had, before it was named eselect, btw.) yet, so I don't have
5 | an opinion on it
6
7 Aah, and this sums up this entire thread. "The name sucks. I haven't
8 used it. It isn't pink enough."
9 | - tarball management (fetching via users tool of choice be it from
10 | the web or according to a file list from a named media (e.g. DVD or a
11 | tape), mirror handling etc.)
12 | - profile management (keeping the on disk representation apart from
13 | the way the dependency resolver gets the information)
14 | - package management (dependency resolver, ect.)
15 | - package installer (install files or create binary packages, may the
16 | target be .tbz2, .deb or .rpm)
17 |
18 | and implement them as independent tools, so we can easly exchange one
19 | for the other, if there is a superior one, instead having to throw
20 | everything away?!
21
22 Nice idea in theory. In reality, Portage is a big incestuous mess and
23 can't have that kind of change made to it, and defining such an
24 interface between package manager parts would take considerably more
25 time and code than just rewriting the whole thing. Having said that,
26 you can swap around pretty much any component of Paludis, since it's
27 proper modular code -- Kugelfang has a mostly working implementation of
28 a CRAN repository, for example.
29
30 | I don't think it would be beneficial in the long run, if the outcome
31 | would be that Gentoo divides into groups using different package
32 | managers.
33
34 I strongly suspect that in the long run one package manager will stand
35 out as by far the best solution. Whichever one this ends up being, it
36 will be one of the modular rewrites that makes future changes quite a
37 bit easier.
40 Ciaran McCreesh
41 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list