From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 00:04:06
1 On Wednesday 17 May 2006 00:22, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > > Does the Gentoo Project not support the
3 > > entire tree all of a sudden?
4 >
5 > There are plenty of ebuilds in the tree marked as unsupported by
6 > gentoo. Probably some profiles too, though I can't name them for
7 > certain off the top of my head.
8
9 That's not an argument, the share of both unsupported and unmaintaned packages
10 is problematic enough. Unfortunately trying to find a way to change this
11 every time resulted in some devs starting a flame war.
12
13 > 1) Is bugsy ready for this, with appropriate categories in place?
14 >
15 > Paludis-related bugs can be marked as invalid and the user directed to
16 > Paludis' bug tracker on berlios.de. Alternatively, if our friendly
17 > Bugzilla admins want to create categories I won't complain. I don't see
18 > a need for it though.
19
20 This costs someones time as well.
23 I haven't had a look at Paludis (the name sucks as much as the name eselect
24 had, before it was named eselect, btw.) yet, so I don't have an opinion on
25 it, but if we (or some of us) start supporting arbitrary package managers,
26 where do we end? Doesn't it cost time, that could be spent better!? If we do
27 it, wouldn't it be better to modularize a bit first? E.g. defining interfaces
28 between
29
30 - tarball management (fetching via users tool of choice be it from the web or
31 according to a file list from a named media (e.g. DVD or a tape), mirror
32 handling etc.)
33 - profile management (keeping the on disk representation apart from the way
34 the dependency resolver gets the information)
35 - package management (dependency resolver, ect.)
36 - package installer (install files or create binary packages, may the target
37 be .tbz2, .deb or .rpm)
38
39 and implement them as independent tools, so we can easly exchange one for the
40 other, if there is a superior one, instead having to throw everything away?!
43 I don't think it would be beneficial in the long run, if the outcome would be
44 that Gentoo divides into groups using different package managers.
47 Carsten