From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: Ian Holsman <lists@×××××××.net>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Apache 2
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 10:28:34
1 Actually, the ebuild is up-to-date as far as versions go, it is at 2.0.40.
2 However, it is not maintained at all according to the standards of Gentoo.
3 I am hesitant to do any work on the ebuild (and some related ones like
4 mod_php) if all I am going to get is a BUG report set to LATER and not see
5 it in the portage tree anytime soon (and then somebody else may override my
6 changes anyway).
9 for precompiled packages and and everything else should fall into the /usr
10 tree. I kind of like the way FreeBSD does it, so I was considering
11 something similar to that, in Gentoo style. Also, I don't think that
12 /home/httpd/htdocs is really the ideal location for the site pages, but that
13 is my opinion and I will defer to others on this without argument.
14
15 Tom Veldhouse
16
17 ----- Original Message -----
18 From: "Ian Holsman" <lists@×××××××.net>
19 To: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
20 Cc: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
21 Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 10:02 PM
22 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Apache 2
25 > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
26 > > Is there progress being made on Apache2? It seems that that ebuild is
27 > > horribly broken (and masked). I noticed it is putting binaries into
28 > > /usr/local rather than /usr. I am beginning to hack on it, but I have
29 also
30 > > noticed that other ebuilds, such as mod_php will not play well with an
31 > > Apache 2 installation.
32 > >
33 > when I last looked at the apache2 ebuild it was way out of date (2.0.28)
34 > as is the SVN build.
35 > by the sounds of it apache is using it's standard layout.
36 > I was thinking that the 'opt' layout would be preferable
37 > (binaries in /opt/apache config in /etc/httpd/ html files in
38 > /usr/share/httpd)
39 >
40 > > I wonder if we might add apache2 to USE in /etc/make.conf? Can we start
41 > > making these ebuilds friendly between versions of Apache (i.e. the
42 > > aforementioned mod_php)? When can this be added to the portage tree and
43 > > unmasked?
44 > >
45 > > I am asking this because many of the java development platforms I want
46 > > really will work better with Apache 2 (i.e. mod_jk2, mod_webapp).
47 > >
48 > > Thanks in advance,
49 > >
50 > > Tom Veldhouse