From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:36:04
1 On Thursday 05 January 2006 21:09, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > I think there is a Post Hoc fallacy happening here: A happened before
3 > B, therefore A must be causing B. In the case at hand: A = loss of
4 > leader, B = lack of progress. While A might be the cause of B, it is
5 > dangerous to jump to that conclusion without more than the sequence as
6 > support.
7
8 From what I remember from talking with Daniel, the oposite is more
9 through. Daniel felt that things were getting nowhere, he was overloaded
10 and brickwalled at the same time, and to make worse had financial
11 problems. So indeed rather a fallacy.
12
13 > First, Gentoo's developers are not going to follow a leader's
14 > direction unless they sincerely agree with it. Since we're all
15 > volunteers, the only cooperative work we're going to see is when
16 > people agree with a goal. Therefore it doesn't matter whether you
17 > name somebody "our leader" or if they're just another developer,
18 > either way they're going to have to convince people to play along.
19 > Our current model already allows for centralized leadership via
20 > meritocracy: any developer can step up to the plate and be king for
21 > the day, they just have to have a good idea and convince others to go
22 > along with it.
23
24 People should also notice the difference between leader and boss.
25
26 > Second, I think the factualness of B is in question. A few people
27 > have brought up examples of progress being made within Gentoo. The
28 > problem here appears to be that the progress being made is not in the
29 > same areas where some people are looking. Which brings up the
30 > question: How is Gentoo falling short in your eyes? Are you certain
31 > that those specific areas are related to the non-existence of a boss?
32
33 Part of it is portage, and that is getting somewhere now. The "boss"
34 stepped down, so that others than him can work on it too.
35
36 Paul
39 Paul de Vrieze
40 Gentoo Developer