From: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ncurses with enable-widec and translated strings.
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:58:26
1 Hello!
2 I've been trying recently to get my system working with UTF-8 locale. So
3 I grabed the RedHta's patches for slang and mc and applied them to
4 ebuild in portage. The I recompiled ncurses with --enable-widec option
5 and made a symlink libncursesw.so -> libncursesw.so.
6
7 That's where I faced this strange issue. All ncruses based programs
8 alligned now their controls properly and did not mess up the screen any
9 more. BUT, almost all translated strings disapeared! They were just
10 replaced by blanks! I point out the word *almost*, cause some translated
11 strings were still there.
12
13 You can see this beahaviour if you runc centericq (available in portage)
14 under LC_ALL=ru_RU.UTF-8 locale (or probably any other using non ASCII
15 charcters).
16
17 Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
18
19 Wkr,
20 --
21 Sergey Kuleshov <svyatogor@g.o>