From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: qemu -> add gcc-3.x dependency
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 13:37:55
1 On 5/5/08, Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi Enrico, it is usually a good idea to search through the Bugzilla before
3 > asking for some feature, chances are that it has been already requested (in
4 > this case, you're looking for bug 190102). FYI, at least some of qemu's
5 > features were ported to gcc4 -- for example, see the kvm-qemu ebuild from
6 > bug 157987.
7
8 I also waiting for gcc-4 enabled qemu for long time...
9 The problem that "emerge --emptytree world" will not work when
10 packages are compiled in different gcc versions.
11 The kvm-qemu is not relevant if you don't have the hardware.
12
13 One solution I saw is to compile gcc-3 as part of the qemu build
14 process, and make the qemu use this gcc-3 instance. This way you can
15 have qemu up and running while the system is configured for gcc-4.
16
17 It is very disappointing that upstream does not allow gcc-4
18 configuration so long after gcc-4 release.
19
20 Alon.