From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] metastructure model (was Re: Sunrise contemplations)
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 22:19:46
1 Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:00:56 +0200
3 > Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Excerpt from the metastructure model, chosen by the majority of devs
6 >> last year (and not my model):
7 >> [...]
8 >> * It may have one or many leads, and the leads are selected by the
9 >> members of the project. This selection must occur at least once every
10 >> 12 months, and may occur at any time.
11 >> [...]
12 >
13 > While we're on the subject of the metastructure model, could we
14 > consider changing this rule? It's a little strict, and I suspect it's
15 > honoured more in the breach than otherwise (by which I mean some,
16 > perhaps many, projects don't bother to hold a selection process every 12
17 > months). The 12 month rule makes perfect sense for the council and
18 > foundation trustees but it's over the top as a rule for all
19 > projects.
20 >
21 > I would suggest something along the lines of, "selection of
22 > leadership of a project can occur at any time, but can be forced should
23 > a majority of the team feel a new selection is necessary", perhaps
24 > with a rider allowing projects to setup stricter rules if they feel the
25 > need. I'm assuming (since I haven't checked) that project membership
26 > requires agreement of the project (i.e. people can't just join a
27 > project without the existing project members' agreement).
28 >
29 > The idea being that if the current leadership want to step down they
30 > can do so and selection occurs within the project by default. At the
31 > other extreme, if a lead becomes a pita for everyone else on the
32 > project, the rest of the project can oust the lead by majority
33 > decision (hopefully a rare occurrence).
34
35 One nice thing about the 12-month model is that it's harder to get on
36 bad terms with a lead that you'd rather wasn't the lead anymore. It's
37 less of a feeling of conspiring to oust them and more of a feeling of
38 "Well, they didn't win the election this time around."
39
40 However, it's easy to avoid the election if nobody else accepts a
41 nomination, as happened in the desktop project. That saves all the hassle.
42
43 Thanks,
44 Donnie